The 2007 Ascending Voice – Call for New Hymns
The Ascending Voice is pleased to announce the winners of our Call for New Hymns! The composers and their winning entries are listed below in alphabetical order by hymn title:
All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night
San Francisco, CA
How Great the Mystery of Faith
Michael S. Bryson
In Him We Are One
Music is the Voice of Heaven
The Shadows of the Evening Hours
Martha Helen Schmidt
There's a Wideness in God's Mercy
Gore Bay, Ontario
Walk in Newness of Life
A panel of four judges carefully reviewed a total of 192 submitted hymns, rating them in four categories:
- Words - the text is appropriate for any context of meaningful Christian worship and conveys a message or expression of thoughtful faith.
- Inclusiveness - the average congregation with some practice or familiarity can sing this music with general success.
- Craft – the setting gives proper regard to scansion (if applicable), word accent and phrasing; voice leading is generally smooth and helpful to the singer.
- Imagination – the music shows tasteful and meaningful creativity in its melodic and harmonic ideas.
- Notation – the score is neat and the notation follows accepted procedures.
Our judges were:
Tom Neenan, Director of Music, Parish of St. Matthew’s in Pacific Palisades, CA
Dr. Gary Cobb, Professor of Music, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
Dr. Steve Butler, Professor of Music, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
Peter Rutenberg, Director, Los Angeles Chamber Singers and Cappella
The winning entries will be performed and their composers recognized on June 6, 2007 at 7:30 PM at Pepperdine University’s Smothers Theatre.
Thank you to all who submitted works, and congratulations to our eight winners!