Fitness Monitor Job Description
Campus Recreation is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups. Application and interview questions will be developed based on the information in this job description.
Definition and Purpose:
Under the immediate supervision of the Fitness Programs Manager and the Fitness Student Manager, the Fitness Monitor is responsible for the supervision of the fitness facilities and its patrons. Monitor is also responsible for opening, closing, and securing the facilities. They are to provide service and assistance to all Fitness Instructors. They are also responsible for the appropriate use and cleanliness of all equipment. Additionally, all Campus Recreation employees are required to provide a welcoming, inclusive, safe and enjoyable, service oriented environment for participants at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work all scheduled shifts, with strict attention to being on time.
- Oversee the facility at all times to ensure the safety of participants and security of equipment
- Educate participants and enforce rules and regulations regarding safe and proper sue of the equipment and facility
- Familiarize participants with the safe and effective use of fitness, aerobic, and free weight equipment
- Provide service and assistance to all Fitness Instructors
- Maintain equipment and report any safety or maintenance needs in the Maintenance Log
- Clean and “wipe down” all equipment on a regular basis as scheduled with documentation
- Follow opening and closing procedures with documentation.
- Prepare incident and injury reports when appropriate
- Re-stock all first aid kits, maintain supply inventory, and check out towels.
- Wear Campus Recreation T-shirt or jacket during all work shifts.
- On call as possible substitute and/or support.
- Respond to, and follow, all emergency procedures.
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings and workshops.
- Provide a friendly, upbeat and customer service environment at all times.
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants.
- Maintain knowledge of all current activities and upcoming events within Campus Recreation.
- Conduct ID, waiver, and payment check of all participants.
- Adhere to all Campus Recreation departmental policies and procedures.
- Practice safety and risk management.
- Provide quality customer service for all participants.
- All other responsibilities as assigned.
- Working knowledge of facilities and fitness
- Working knowledge of anatomy, safe training procedures, and the proper use of aerobic, free weight, and related fitness equipment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Sport Medicine Majors highly preferred
Preferred Work and Extra Curricular Experience:
- Ability to supervise participants
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
- Open to new ideas and the ability to adapt to changes
- Knowledge or experience in fitness
- Awareness of, and appreciation for, individual uniqueness and diversity
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management
- Understanding of positive customer service
- Ability to work with volunteers
CPR and First Aid Certifications will be required.
Must be a currently enrolled student at Pepperdine University. All Staff must maintain a GPA of 2.0 during employment.
Period of Employment:
Employment with this organization is of an “at will” nature, which means that the Employee may resign at any time and the Employer may discharge Employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and hours:
Pay range – Starting $7.25 - $9.00 (Commensurate with qualifications). Maximum of 20 hours a week; Weekends and evenings may be required.