Strategies for Reading and Studying Textbooks
T - Title
I - Introduction (Paragraph, outline)
C - Conclusion (Summary)
H - Headings (and Sub-headings)
W - Words (Italics, bold print)
I - Illustrations (Pictures, charts, etc.)
Q - Questions (End of chapter)
- Read sub-section once.
- Read again and highlight major points.
- Highlight only information important to learn.
- DON'T underline too much!
- Repeat until chapter is completed.
- When reading and underlining is complete, go back and make study cards.
- Can be used for all information to be learned...not just vocabulary words.
- Summarize and organize information.
- Make a question out of topic on card.
- "Recite" the answer...don't just read it!
- Check your answer.
(Back to "Strategies, Tips, & Techniques" page)