The Center for Estate and Gift Planning
Charitable Gift Annuity for Home
The Charitable Gift Annuity for Home (CGA for Home) is a simple agreement between you and Pepperdine and provides you with guaranteed income for life. You retain control and use of your home for your life and begin receiving a guaranteed annuity payment in return for deeding the remainder interest in your property to Pepperdine. The payout rate is based on your age at the time of the gift and when payments are to begin.
LIVE IN HOME FOR LIFE
Retain control and use of home for one or two lives (life estate)
Homeowner pays maintenance, insurance, and taxes
Annuity Payment For Life
Guaranteed income for life to one or two individuals
Immediate tax deduction
Payment based on age of donor(s)
Portion of income is tax-free
Remainder in Home to Pepperdine
After lifetime, home benefits Pepperdine, its faculty, and students
- Continued control and use of home for one or two lives.
- Fixed annual income for one or two lifetimes.
- Immediate income tax deduction.
- Avoid potential estate tax.
- Protect assets from future creditors.
- Create a permanent legacy for Pepperdine University, its faculty, and students.
- Can use personal residence, second home, or a vacation home.
- Receive an immediate charitable deduction that may be used to offset income from the CGA for Home and/or other income.
- Any charitable deduction that cannot be used in the year of the gift may be carried over for up to five additional years.
- The charitable deduction may increase your after-tax spendable income.
Fixed Income for Life
- Payment is guaranteed by the full faith and credit of Pepperdine University.
- Payment is fixed, it will never increase or decrease.
- A portion of the payment is tax free, a portion taxed as capital gain, and a portion taxed as ordinary income.
- The payments begin at the time you designate after you make your gift to Pepperdine and are paid monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.
Control and Use of Your Home for Life
- You retain control and use of your home for your lifetime or for you and your spouse’s lifetimes.
- You retain the option to sell your home and move to a new residence.
- You continue to pay for maintenance, insurance, and taxes.
- Does not trigger property tax reassessment in California.