The Center for Estate and Gift Planning
The Life Estate is a simple agreement between you and Pepperdine. You retain control and the use of your home for your life, and deed the remainder interest in your property to Pepperdine. By transferring the remainder interest in your home to Pepperdine and retaining the life estate, you can lower your income taxes while retaining control and use of your home.
LIVE IN HOME FOR LIFE
Retain control and use of home (life estate)
Homeowner continues to pay maintenance, insurance, and taxes
Immediate tax deduction
May reduce estate taxes
HOME TO PEPPERDINE AFTER LIFETIME
May designate program, school, or scholarship
After lifetime, home benefits Pepperdine, its faculty, and students
- Retain control and use of home for your lifetime.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction.
- Avoid or reduce estate tax.
- Create a permanent legacy for Pepperdine University, its faculty, and students.
- Receive an immediate charitable deduction that may be used to offset income and reduce your taxes.
- Any charitable deduction that cannot be used in the year of the gift may be carried over for up to five additional years.
- The charitable deduction may increase your after-tax spendable income.
- Reduce estate taxes by leaving your home to Pepperdine.
Control and Use of Your Home for Life
- You retain control and use of your home for your lifetime.
- You retain a life estate, so it is still your home.
- You also retain the option to sell your home and move to a new residence.
- You continue to pay for maintenance, insurance, and taxes.
- Does not trigger property tax reassessment in California.