Giving to Pepperdine
Friends and Community
The importance of friends to the success of Pepperdine University cannot be overstated. George Pepperdine’s original dream, later expanded upon and articulated by visionary leaders, proved infectious. The generosity of those who were inspired by Pepperdine is inexorably linked to what the University is today.
Pepperdine continues to be blessed by individuals who may not be affiliated in any way other than a like-minded attitude and a spirit of generosity -- people who are moved to partner with Pepperdine in preparing students for lives of purpose, service, and leadership.
Pepperdine and its Benefactors
It is appropriate that the University bears the name of its first benefactor, George Pepperdine, who generously founded the College in 1937. Not surprisingly, the college flourished in every way: academically, athletically, and in student enrollment.
In the mid 1950’s, the George Pepperdine College campus in Los Angeles was bursting at the seams. Members of the first volunteer board came through, purchasing and donating buildings to accommodate a growing student body. Still, the needs of the college continued to expand, leading to a search for another campus location.
In 1968, members of the Adamson-Rindge family donated 138 acres of land overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Malibu. Thus began what is now known as the Miracle in Malibu.
The true miracle is the tenacity of the Pepperdine leadership, their gifted ability to share their vision, and the unwavering friendship and generosity of Pepperdine’s benefactors. Their names are familiar fixtures on campus: Seaver, Payson, Pendleton, Huntsinger, Tyler, Elkins, and Graziadio to name a few. A tour of campus reveals the names of many more, appropriately etched into the very foundations of the University.