Office of Investment Management
Advancement Officer's Information
What Should the Donor Send to Pepperdine University?
Donor should send a letter to Pepperdine University, Office of the Treasurer, stating what he or she is transferring, when the transfer will take place, and who is the intended beneficiary. Click here to view a sample letter.
Important Questions to Ask Donors
- Do you have an appreciated stock or bond? If the donor’s cost basis exceeds the current market value, he is better off selling the stock or bond taking the loss in his account, and simply writing out a check. It makes sense to transfer only appreciated securities. This way, a donor can take a charitable tax deduction based on market value and avoid paying any capital gains tax.
- Who is the gift beneficiary?
- How or where is the security held?
- Stock certificate or Bond certificate
- In a brokerage account
- Whose names appear in the certificate or brokerage/bank custody account? Ownership may be in the name of an individual, both spouses, or under certain trust arrangements. When ownership is held under a trust agreement, a copy of the trust should be requested. The page showing who is authorized to act on behalf of the trust is necessary.
How Can a Donor Transfer the Gift?
Depending on whether the donor has a certificate or his security is in a brokerage or custody bank account, one of the following applies:
For stock certificates: donor can endorse the certificate exactly as registered by signing the back of the certificate or by using a stock power. Use of a stock power is preferred so this can be mailed separately for security reasons. If donor endorses the back of certificate, make sure they send the certificate by registered or certified mail.
For securities held in a brokerage account: inter-account or electronic transfer is the simplest way to move the stock or bond. Donor should furnish name of his broker, broker’s phone number and the name of the brokerage firm. Donor instructs his or her broker to transfer the share to the account of Pepperdine University. Please call the Treasurer’s Office at (310) 506-4710 for instructions.