Notification begins with:
A. The first time a student is charged with violating the University policy under one of following circumstances:
- Caused harm to oneself or another while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or was transported to a medical facility and treated because of alcohol or other drug use.
- Was unruly, disruptive, or destructive while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Operated a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Was arrested or taken into custody by law enforcement officers while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or is charged with violating a federal, state, or local law related to alcohol or other drug use.
- Because of previous violations (not related to alcohol or other drugs), the current alcohol or other drug violation might result in the student being placed on suspension or a more severe sanction.
- Hosted or in any way assisted or promoted a gathering that included underage drinking or drunkenness.
B. The first time a student is charged with violating the University policy regarding the attempt to obtain or the use, possession, sale, or distribution of any narcotic or other controlled substance not lawfully prescribed by a health care provider.
C. The second time a student is charged with violating the University policy regarding:
- The consumption, possession, sale, or distribution of alcoholic beverages.
- Being in the presence of alcohol, alcohol containers, controlled substances, or drug-related paraphernalia on University property.
Normally, a parent or guardian will be notified by phone or in writing by the associate dean of students before the disciplinary hearing. Before notifying the parents or guardians, every
effort will be made to inform the student and attempt to have the student make the
first contact. This is consistent with the general philosophy that supports students
developing independence and personal accountability. However, in some situations consultation
with the student or first contact by the student may not be possible or appropriate
and in such cases the University is not required to alert the student when it has
notified his/her parent or legal guardian. In other situations, after consulting with
the student, the associate dean of students may determine that notifying the parents/guardians
may be harmful to the student and in such cases the University is not obligated to
This policy does not preclude the University's contacting parents or guardians for other policy violations that may endanger the health and well being of a student or other individuals in the community.