News and Events
News & Events Recap
- Following the passing of Jack F. Kemp in May of this year, Pepperdine University and the Kemp family have agreed not to proceed with plans for the Jack F. Kemp Institute for Political Economy at Pepperdine's School of Public Policy. The original vision of the Kemp Institute included a dynamic and vital role for Secretary Kemp, but the the legacy of this extraordinary American will be passed along to future generations through new and unique opportunities being considered by the University.
- Members of the Seaver College class of 2013 experienced their first official days as Pepperdine students during New Student Orientation (NSO), held on the Malibu campus from August 24 for international students, and August 25 for all new students. Classes began Monday, Aug. 31.
- Pepperdine's women's soccer team began its 2009 season on August 23 with a home contest against NCAA Tournament qualifier Marquette. The new season follow a .500 season from last year, posting an overall record of 9-9-2 and finishing fourth in the West Coast Conference at 4-3.
- The new "Elements of Nature" exhibition opened at the Frederick R. Weisman Museum on August 22, gathering together works of art that reflect on how the four ancient elements - earth, air, water, and fire - continue to have meaning in our lives.
- Pepperdine University was chosen as a recipient of a stimulus award through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act as part of a National Science Foundation grant, which will allow for the upgrade of facilities in the Seaver College Natural Science division to include a flow cytometer.
- Pepperdine's acclaimed Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution hosted "Mediating the Litigated Case," a program for experienced litigators, in-house counsel, and other practitioners from Monday, Aug. 10 to Sunday, Aug. 15 at the Pepperdine University School of Law.
- The "On Location in Malibu 2009: Paintings by the California Art Club" exhibition at Pepperdine's Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art came to an end on August 9. The heralded showcase brought the beauty of the Malibu, California, to the canvas, reflected changes in Malibu since the fall 2007 wildfires and provided a message of hope and renewal.
- The Graziadio School of Business and Management at Pepperdine University honored its graduating students with an August 8 commencement ceremony on the Malibu campus. The ceremony featured remarks from Robert A. Eckert, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Mattel, Inc., and Fiona Ma (MBA '00), representative for the people of California's 12th Assembly District.
- Douglas W. Kmiec, Pepperdine's Caruso Family Chair in Constitutional Law, was confirmed by the Senate as the United States Ambassador to the Republic of Malta on Friday, Aug. 7. The vote was unanimous.
- The Graziadio School of Business and Management at Pepperdine University hosted its third annual Knowledge Management Forum from August 5-6, on the central theme of "The Intersection of Ethics and Knowledge Management." The conference was held at the Drescher Graduate Campus, Malibu.
- Pepperdine men’s volleyball coaching legend Marv Dunphy received another accolade to add to his lengthy list of career honors on Tuesday, as the American Volleyball Coaches Association announced that he will be inducted into its Hall of Fame later this year. Dunphy will be officially inducted on December 17 at the Jostens Coaches Honors Luncheon, held in conjunction with the 2009 AVCA Annual Convention in Tampa, Fla.
- Honoring the victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Pepperdine University plans to once again stage a dramatic display of American flags on its expansive lawn beneath the Theme Tower - one flag for each of the nearly 3,000 lives lost on that tragic day.
- Nearly 400 business professionals attended "What’s Next LA? The Road to Economic Recovery," the first annual Los Angeles economic forecast conference, sponsored by the Graziadio School of Business and Management, Beacon Economics, and the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. The event took place on July 28 at the Los Angeles Airport Marriott.