News and Events
News and Events Recap
- Bruce Herschensohn, Senior Fellow in International Relations at Pepperdine's School of Public Policy, presented a lecture July 28 as part of the Center Club Distinguished Speaker Series, in Costa Mesa, CA.
- Do you rule your money or does your money rule you? Joetta Forsyth, assistant professor of finance at the Graziadio School of Business and Management, published her latest book, Financial Wisdom Volume 1: Personal Finance and Career Skills to Guide Teens and Young Adults on Their Journey to Success and Happiness, suggesting that being in control of personal finances at an early age ensures a better life.
- It was announced in July that Pepperdine University was named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for 2010 by the Corporation for National and Community Service and the U.S. Departments of Education and Housing and Urban Development. Pepperdine was named to the Honor Roll with Distinction.
- The Graziadio School of Business and Management's Master of Science in Entrepreneurship degree program hosted "LAUNCH U! Unleashing Your Inner Entrepreneur," on July 21, as a two-hour hands-on event designed to help current business owners and those interested in owning their own business learn about the skills and processes needed to generate an innovative business idea.
- Pepperdine University's Friends of the Libraries hosted an afternoon with authentic American hero Louis Zamperini July 16, at a private residence in Pacific Palisades. Zamperini, whose saga inspired Laura Hillenbrand's best-selling book, Unbroken, shared his extraordinary story of survival as a prisoner of war during World War II.
- Nine students returned to Malibu after spending two weeks in Lausanne, Switzerland, training to become global citizens and future leaders. The Crossing Boundaries Leadership Institute offered by Pepperdine's International Programs offered a one-unit course in Communication & Leadership, designed to examine the communication processes through which individuals influence, motivate, and mobilize others to work together toward common goals within organizations, communities, and society.
- Two members of the Seaver College faculty, Cyndia Clegg, Distinguished Professor of English, and Paul Contino, Professor of Great Books, travelled to England to represent Pepperdine at the "Hospitable Text" conference held at the Notre Dame Centre in London. The conference explored the recent resurgence of interest in the relationship between religion and literature, bringing together a wide variety of scholars to examine the subject of hospitality.