News and Events
News & Events Recap
- Pepperdine University partnered with the Directors Roundtable and the UCLA School of Law to participate in a panel discussion titled, "Recognizing America's Judiciary: A Dialogue with Chief Judges on Key Issues for Leaders of Business and the Community," on which School of Law dean Deanell Reece Tacha sat. The roundtable took place at the UCLA School of Law.
- The Malibu Arts Festival, produced by the Malibu Chamber of Commerce, celebrated its 41st year with a two-day event from Jul. 28 to Jul. 29, in front of the Malibu Civic Center. Local Malibu artists, including Nick Rodionoff, head coach of the Pepperdine women's swimming and diving team, were featured alongside over 200 award-winning painters, sculptors, photographers, jewelers, and other unique artisans and businesses highlighted at the event. This year marked Rodionoff's 40th year participating in the annual festival, where he displayed photographs documenting iconic places along the Malibu coastline.
- Pepperdine University Distinguished Professor of Music and world-renowned American classical guitarist Christopher Parkening was inducted into the Guitar Foundation of America (GFA) Hall of Fame in July 2012. He was named a recipient of the GFA's "Artistic Achievement Award," which is given to performers who have made "monumental contributions to the development of the art and life of the classical guitar."
- A special reception honoring Pepperdine's rich Olympic history was held Jul. 26, at the recently renovated Pepperdine London House in London, England. The Pepperdine community from around the world came together to celebrate the historic event on the eve before the kick-off to the 2012 Olympics.
- The Career Services team at the Graduate School of Education and Psychology (GSEP) hosted a professional Professional Development workshop titled "How to Write Effective Cover and Thank-You Letters" on July 24, exploring ways to make your cover letter as compelling and tailored to the position as possible.
- The California Business Roundtable and the Pepperdine University School of Public Policy released the first results in their newly-launched innovative, bimonthly polling series on Jul. 19. The series, designed to track voter attitudes and opinions on the major initiatives moving toward November's election, uses the latest technology to simulate the context in which voters are able to read and consider all prospective initiatives before voting by mail or at the polls on Election Day.
- The Graziadio School of Business and Management hosted a lecture titled, "Organization Design Through an Agility Lens," on Jul. 18, at Pepperdine's Irvine Graduate Campus. Sponsored by the Master of Science in Organizational Development program, the lecture was hosted by Christopher Worley, a professor of management at the Graziadio School and a senior research scientist at the Center for Effective Organizations at the University of Southern California.
- Pepperdine Athletics had a banner year in 2011-12, winning one national championship, while six teams won a total of seven conference championships. For the third time in school history, Pepperdine claimed the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association All-Sports trophy, which is awarded to the Division I school without football that has the most postseason success over the course of the school year.
- Pepperdine Athletics announced in early July that water polo icon Terry Schroeder will return to Pepperdine as its head men's water polo coach in the 2013 season. Schroeder, who was previously in charge of the program for 20 years and led the Waves to the 1997 NCAA championship, was then the head coach of the USA men's water polo team that headed to the London Olympics.
- Faye W. McClure, vice president of strategic marketing for Farmers Insurance Group, was appointed to Pepperdine University's Board of Regents, effective July 1. McClure is an alumna of Pepperdine University, earning her bachelor's degree in business administration from Seaver College in 1978. Since 2005, she has been an active member of the Graziadio School Board of Visitors.