Office of the President
Envisioning a Bold Future
Pepperdine University aspires to be a substantive contributor to American higher education. While there are many fine colleges and universities where intellectual pursuits are acquitted well, Pepperdine's vision of excellence involves educating the heart and soul, as well as the mind. Our values, our faith, our outreach, and our restless inquiry into better ways of changing lives are worthy of emulation.
Pepperdine's Christian mission is the root of our values; our tradition of faith is central to whatever measure of excellence we attain. From those roots in faith and practice have flowered a complex of values, including:
- A unique balance between the claims of the academy and the call to Christian discipleship;
- The primacy of teaching and the importance of research;
- A focus on ethics;
- An international perspective on learning;
- Service to the global community;
- A focus on students and their whole development;
- An environment that values the dignity of the individual, meeting the needs of diverse students, faculty, and staff in an ever-changing world.
In many respects the University has traveled farther and faster than anyone could have projected, and it has done so with these values intact.