Office of the Provost
Academic Policies and Documents
This page contains policies, documents, and forms related to the academic governance of the University. Most are in PDF format and can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
General University Policies
- University Ethics Policy
University standards for personal and business conduct.
- Computer and Network Responsible Usage Policy
Pepperdine University's policy governing the proper use and management of all University computing and network resources.
- HIPAA Policies, Procedures and Forms Manual
Detailed manual of all University policies and procedures related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), including sample HIPAA forms.
- University Facilities Modification and Project Initiation
Please see these pages to request modification of existing facilities or offices, submit new construction project requests, and other items for the Campus Planning Group and Construction and Campus Planning (CCP).
- University Financial Policies
Includes University budgeting, expense reimbursement, cash management, and other policies and procedures.
- Sexual Harassment Policy
Guidelines for dealing with sexual harassment in the academic community
- Substance Abuse Policy
The University's policy regarding substance abuse among staff and faculty
- University Policy for Accommodating Students and Applicants with Disabilities
Guidelines for determining and providing accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and other applicable statutes or recommendations.
Policies and Forms Related to the University Tenure Process
- University Tenure Policy
The official University policy on faculty tenure. Additional information can be found in the Rank, Tenure and Promotion handbooks for each school
- Guide to the Tenure Review Process
An overview of the University's tenure review process, including: eligibility, when to apply, and the steps in the review process.
- Best Practices for Tenure and Promotion Review
A list of recommendations intended to put applicants’ portfolios in the best possible light and to clarify expectations.
- Tenure Application Forms
The following forms are available for download during the current tenure process:
Forms for graduate/professional school faculty:
Forms for Seaver College faculty:
Seaver College faculty should download application forms from the Seaver RTP site: http://seaver.pepperdine.edu/dean/documentsandpolicies/rtp.htm
Policies Related to Faculty Research
- Protection of Human Participants in Research: Policies and Procedures Manual
Manual for all University research involving human subjects. Also referred to as the IRB manual, since it governs the work of the University's institutional review boards (IRB). For more information, visit the IRB site at http://services.pepperdine.edu/irb/
- University Policy for Responding to Allegations of Scientific Misconduct
Guidelines for research supported by or seeking support from the U.S. Public Health Service
- University Policy on Patents and Copyrights
Policy governing research and writing supported by the University
Policies and Documents Regarding Academic Courses and Programs
- Institutional Educational Objectives
The official Institutional Educational Objectives for Pepperdine University.
- UAC Course Action Forms
University Academic Council forms to submit changes to existing courses or request approval for new courses (MS Word documents)
- Credit Hour Policy and Procedure
Policy for evaluating and determining the value of course credit hours, as well as the process for checking compliance.
- Cross-Registration Policy
Policy governing registration of students for classes in other schools of the University.
- Joint and Dual Degree Programs and Substantive Change Guidelines
University guidelines for joint and dual degree programs and WASC policies regarding Substantive Change requests.
- New Program Proposal
Guidelines for submitting a new academic program to UAC.
- Transfer of Credit Policy
Policy and practice for the evaluation and award of transfer credit
Other Academic and Provost Office Policies and Documents
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar Program (includes application)
Description of Visiting Scholar program and criteria for nomination
- EOE Language for Employment Advertisements
The approved equal employment language to be used in all advertisements for faculty and staff positions at Pepperdine University
- Faculty Emeritus Policy
Description of the conditions and process for the granting of Faculty Emeritus status to retired faculty
- Moving and Relocation Policy for New Faculty
Guidelines for the relocation of newly hired faculty
- Policy on Copying for Classroom and Research Purposes
Guide for using copyrighted material in research and teaching
- Policy on Jointly-Sponsored Events
The Provost's policy statement on events cosponsored by the University and other organizations
- Statement of Academic Freedom
The Provost's statement on academic freedom reiterating a portion of the tenure policy
- University Professor Rank
Eligibility and process for rank of University Professor