Lifetime Achievement AwardsPURPOSE
To honor great artists and scholars who have enabled us to think more profoundly, more intelligently, more critically, and more self-critically about the relations between literature and Christian faith and practice. In honoring them, CCL affirms the value of the religious dimension in literature and scholarship and draws attention to the issues that guide the organization and its members' intellectual commitments.
The recipient of the award will meet the following criteria:
1. Must have served the profession of letters for a substantial number of years;
2. Must have produced a significant and mature body of written work, whether theoretical, critical, or creative;
B. Professional recognition
3. Must be recognized and respected in the larger professional community for scholarship or creative writing;
4. Must have enriched the understanding of the relation of Christianity and literature;
5. Must have contributed significantly to the dialogue among Christian scholars and between Christian scholars and the secular community of professionals.
D. Religious witness
6. All other things being equal, special consideration will be given to candidates who are explicitly associated with a Christian or Jewish religious community.
PROCEDURES FOR NOMINATION AND SELECTION
Any member of CCL may submit the name of a person to be considered for the award. All nominations are to be made in writing and submitted to the President no later than November 1. Each nomination should be accompanied by a brief letter of recommendation along with either a copy of the nominee's CV or an equivalent biographical sketch; the latter documents may be supplied in electronic form or as links to web sites containing the information. The CCL Board of Directors will consider the nominations and conclude the selection process at its annual meeting in early January. For a nominee to be selected for the award, that individual must receive an affirmative vote from at least 75% of the Board.Winners of the lifetime achievement award include:
David Lyle Jeffrey
Barbara Kiefer Lewalski and Louis Lohr Martz
Walter J. Ong, S.J.
Denise Levertov and Owen Barfield
Nathan A. Scott, Jr.
Cleanth Brooks and Richard Wilbur