Skip Navigation

Student Employment


               The Student Employment Office strives to interact with Wave parents to establish a relationship that fosters and supports their student's growth academically and professionally.  However, Federal law states that there are some limitations that must be addressed when communicating certain information to parents.

FERPA: A Parent's Guide

           Pepperdine University is concerned about the privacy of your student's records and works hard to ensure that all files are kept confidential. When your student was in elementary and high school, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gave both you and your student rights to access and control your student's educational records. Now that your student is enrolled in a University, this same law transfers ownership and control of the records directly to your son or daughter.

           According to FERPA, college students, regardless of their age, are considered to be responsible adults that are allowed to determine who will receive personal information about them. While parents understandably have an interest in a student's academic progress, they are not automatically granted access to a student's records without written consent of that student. Parents are encouraged to consult with their student if academic information is needed.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) on FERPA

If I'm paying for my student's education, why can't I get a copy of his or her records?

           FERPA grants legal control of a student's personal and academic records to them. Therefore, gaining access to a college student's records must be granted with written approval by the student. You can, however, receive information about your student if you submit proof that he/she is a dependent. Contact the Office of the University Registrar for information regarding this process. Students can sign a release form to grant you access to financial information. This form is included in the student's tuition bill.

What information is covered under FERPA and what is not?

            FERPA regulations protect a student's "education records," which include grades, finances, payroll records, and discipline records. Physical and mental health records are covered by other University policies, federal law, and professional ethics. In general, professionals working in these areas will not release student information except in emergency situations. Your son or daughter can choose to release information from these records to a third party, but this is done on a case-by-case basis. Each student can talk to the practitioner or the records office in the Student Health Center regarding medical records or the University Counseling Center regarding counseling records. They may also speak to the Dean of Students Office for discipline records; or to Residence Life for housing information.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?

             The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department's Web site for additional information:

Department of Education FERPA Guidelines