Pepperdine Volunteer Center
Each year for Step Forward Day, over 50 nonprofit organizations, schools, churches and parks generously agree to host a work group. Thinking of joining us? We’d love to partner with you.
Who can be a Step Forward Day partner?
We invited nonprofit organizations, schools, churches and parks to become a work site. If you can use a group of at least eight, and keep them busy and working for three to four hours, they we would like to hear from you.
How long will a group be at our site?
The group will be at your organization roughly between 9:00AM-12:30PM. We can confirm more specific times as the event comes closer. Projects are most successful when the group has plenty to do the whole time.
As a partner, what would we need to do?
We ask that you provide any supplies needed for the group to complete their project. Please assign a representative from your organization to meet the group on the morning of Step Forward Day. That person should welcome the group and teach them more about who you are and what you do before setting them to work. They will need to stay at the work site through the day.
What kinds of projects could a Pepperdine Step Forward Team do?
Let us interact!
Projects that involve our student volunteers directly with the people that your organization serves tend to be both rewarding and successful. Sample projects could include: hosting a sports camp that works with our Pepperdine athletes; letting our students accompany your residents on an outing; playing games and facilitating and participating in activities; preparing and serving a meal; making cards and writing notes to leave for your residents or participants; letting our students talk and share life experiences with the people you serve.
Let us clean!
We can assist you by cleaning your facility. Projects could include scrubbing, sweeping, dusting, and window washing.
Let us do yard work!
We can work outside with a variety of projects, including weeding, raking, planting, watering, clearing, cleaning outdoor facilities, picking up trash, and sweeping outdoor areas.
Let us touch-up!
If your facility needs touch-up, repair, or maintenance work, we can participate in projects such as sanding, painting, decorating, assembling furniture and safe repairs.
Let us organize and plan!
Office, facility, or storage organization projects could include organizing classrooms, rearranging storage or supply areas, setting up an organized storage system, sorting files, labeling, project planning, project set-up, preparing supplies for upcoming events (e.g. stuffing back-to-school backpacks, setting up tables), and sorting food products.
Step Forward Day 2012 participants:
- A Place Called Home
- Alliance Gertz-Ressler High School
- Aviva Family & Children's Services
- Blind Children's Center
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Conejo Valley
- Boys and Girls Club of Malibu
- Boys and Girls Club of the West Valley
- Children's Hunger Fund
- The Children's Nature Institute
- City of Malibu Parks and Recreation
- Children's Lifesaving Foundation
- Conejo Valley Church of Christ
- Conejo Valley YMCA-Stepping Stones Riding Program
- DREAM Center
- Downtown Women's Center
- Faith in Christ Ministries
- FOOD Share
- Grant School
- Gull Wings Children's Museum
- Habitat for Humanity
- Inner-City Arts
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Little Oaks School
- Malibu Methodist Nursery School
- Malibu Presbyterian Church
- Malibu United Methodist Church
- Mary Magdalene Project
- The Midnight Mission
- Mountains Restoration Trust
- OPCC Daybreak
- Pacific Lodge Youth Services
- Point Dume Marine Science School
- Resource Conservation District of the Santa Monica Mountains
- Salvation Army-Santa Monica
- Salvation Army-Silvercrest
- Salvation Army Camps in Malibu Canyon
- Santa Monica Mountains Trails Council
- Seaport 17th Care Center
- SHARE! (Self Help and Recovery Exchange)
- SOS (Standing on Stone) Community Outreach
- Sunrise Senior Living of Pacific Palisades
- Transitions at Malibu High School
- Venice High School
- Webster School
- Weingart Center
- Westside Children's Center
- Westside Food Bank
- Westside Pregnancy Clinic
- Will Rogers Learning Community
- World Impact, Inc.