Procedure for Graduate Students

  1. A graduate student who is enrolled in a program that requires or allows immediate participation in an internship, practicum or externship may apply for CPT in accordance with the following instructions.
  2. Print and complete the student portion of the CPT form
  3. Ask your academic advisor to complete the "Academic Advisor" portion of the CPT form. Email the completed form to
  4. Ask your employer to prepare an offer letter using this sample letter. Send it to oiss@ along with your CPT form.
  5. If your CPT is a paid position, you will be issued an updated I-20  for Form I-9 and payroll/tax purposes. 
  6. If your CPT is a paid position you must apply for a U.S. Social Security Number. Visit the Social Security Administration's website for instructions on how to apply for one.