Frequently Asked Questions | Pepperdine University | Seaver College

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a disability?

A disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of the individual.

  • Major Life Activities The phrase major life activities refers to normal functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
  • Physical Impairment:  A physical impairment includes any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following bodily systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs, respiratory and speech organs, cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genitourinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin and endocrine.
  • Mental Impairment:  A mental impairment includes any mental or psychological disorder such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.
  • Learning Disabilities:  A learning disability is a generic term that refers to a heterogeneous group of disorders manifested by significant difficulties in the acquisition and use of listening, speaking, reading, writing, reasoning, or mathematical abilities.  These disorders occur in persons of average to very superior intelligence.

I have a disability, how will this affect my application and the admissions process?

The University will make admission decisions without considering disability status. The University will not impose or apply admission or eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out individuals on the basis of their disability, unless such criteria is necessary for the provision of the program, service or activity being offered. The University believes that this carries out the intent of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

Students with disabilities desiring to enroll in any program, service or activity of Pepperdine University must be able to meet the minimal standards of both the University and the particular school, program, service, or activity to which admission is sought.

The University does not engage in any affirmative action programs for students with disabilities, nor does it consider a student's disability in evaluating admission criteria. It is, of course, within the student's discretion to inform the Admissions Committee of a disability if they wish. If this choice is made, the University will not discriminate against the student on the basis of the disability and will make reasonable accommodations when necessary.

I've been accepted at Pepperdine, and I have a disability… how do I receive accommodations?

Congratulations! Welcome to Pepperdine University. In order to receive accommodations, you will need to register with Disability Services. You can begin the process of registration here


I have a mobility issue. How do I get around campus?

Because of the campus terrain and the limited parking available on campus, Pepperdine is pleased to offer a medical escort service for people with chronic medical conditions and disabilities, temporary or permanent. This service eliminates the need for parking passes, as anyone can call or schedule for rides from point A to point B. Please call Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 310-506-4442 to receive a medical escort on campus.

*Please note that a minimum 15-20 minute lead time is necessary on any of these requests.

For further information about our medical escort service and other mobility solutions, please visit our Medical Escort and Accessible Parking page.  

I need housing considerations. What do I need to do?

If your disability affects your housing needs, please register with our office so that we can explore the possibilities. Please note the Housing deadlines on the Housing & Residence Life website

Do I need to renew my accommodations with DSO every semester and/or year?

Every semester or term students who have completed registration with Disability Services need to complete a Semester Request in order to active services for that term. Instructions on how to complete this form can be found here

I have a service or emotional support animal. What do I need to do?

If you have a service animal or emotional support animal, we ask that you register with our office. Please see our How to Register page for further details. Please also review the University Policy Manual for complete information on the university policy regarding animals on campus.

I am a Seaver College student in need of tutoring support. Where can I find this?

Seaver students in need of tutoring support can contact the Seaver Student Success Center. For a full tutoring schedule please visit their website.

My disability makes it hard for me to carry personal items (bookbag, computer, etc.) around campus. Does the university provide someone to help carry my personal items?

If you require assistance in transporting personal items, you may hire a personal assistant to help you. You may also find a classmate with similar schedule who is available to assist.