Areas of Expertise
- IT implementation
- Information and process systems
- Strategic and economic consequences of digital innovation
- Pricing strategy in online markets and air travel industry
As a member of the Board of Advisors and executive for several technology start-ups, Dr. Nelson Granados actively combines academia with practice. His broad research interests are related to the strategic and economic consequences of digital innovation, and his current focus is on the impact of the Internet channel on the travel, media, and entertainment industries. Prior to joining academia, Dr. Granados performed multiple marketing management positions in the airline industry across four continents, and he was also a product manager for enterprise systems at IBM Colombia.
His research on the economic and informational impacts of the Internet channel has appeared in top IS journals such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems, and Decision Support Systems. This research has received multiple awards and recognitions, including the Rothschild Research Fellow, the Julian Virtue Professorship, e-Business Best Paper at the INFORMS Annual Meeting, Best Publication of the Year in the Information Systems academic field, and Best Paper of the Year in the Journal of the Association for Information Systems. He was also recognized as Best Reviewer of the Year by the Journal of Strategic Information Systems.
Dr. Granados in the News
O.C. Black Friday sales up 6%, OCRegister.com
- PhD, University of Minnesota
- MBA., University of Minnesota
- MS, University of Minnesota
- BS, Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia
Research and Scholarship
- Li, J., Granados, N.F., Netessine, S. (2014) "Are Consumers Strategic? Structural Estimation from the Air Travel Industry," Management Science, 60(9), pp. 2114-2137
- Granados, N.F. and Gupta, A. (2013) "Transparency Strategy: Competing with Information in a Digital World," MIS Quarterly, 37(2), pp. 637-641.
- Granados, N.F., Gupta, A., and Kauffman, R.J. (2012) "Online and Offline Demand and Price Elasticities: Evidence from the Air Travel Industry," Information Systems Research, forthcoming.e-Business Best Paper Award, INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- Granados, N.F., Kauffman, R. J., Lai, H., and Lin, H. (2011) "Decommoditization, Resonance Marketing, and IT: An Empirical Study of Air Travel Services"