Techniques for Effective Studying
When/How to Study
- Plan 3 hours of study time for every hour you spend in class
- Study difficult or boring subjects first
- Avoid scheduling marathon study sessions
- Be aware of time of day when you are most alert
- Use waiting time (waiting for the shuttle or sitting in a doctor's office)
Where to study
- Find a regular study area
- Don't get to comfortable before studying
- Utilize the library
- Pay attention to your own attention
- Discuss concerns with your roommates about study time
- Avoid noise distractions
- Beware of individuals who misuse their time
- Get off the phone
- Learn to say "no"
- What is one task I can accomplish toward my goal?
- Am I being too hard on myself?
- How did I just waste that time?
- Would I pay myself for what I'm doing now?
- Can I do just one more small task before I stop studying?
Adapted from Becoming a Master Student by David. B. Ellis.
Return to Strategies and Tips