Step Forward Day Shirt Design
Imagine this. You step onto lush Alumni field, the ocean breeze dancing across your face and the smell of salt in the air. All around you, emblazoned on the chests of hundreds of people, is your design. Your sweat and blood and tears. Can you picture it? Glory. That is what awaits the student whose creativity is chosen to reign supreme at Step Forward Day 2016.
All currently enrolled Pepperdine students are eligible to participate. Before a winner is chosen, enrollment will be verified.
Rules and Guidelines
- Use no more than 2 colors in your design (the "shirt" or background may be a third color).
- The design should include the words "Step Forward Day" and the "Pepperdine Volunteer Center" mark (we recommend including "2016" but it is not required).
- Three t-shirt colors will be used, so please anticipate and visualize your submission with multiple backgrounds or provide the design with three different background colors.
- Designs must be computer generated or hand-drawn with pen and submitted as JPEG, PDF, PNG, or other image format that can be viewed with standard software.
- Submissions should all be able to be converted into vector art (more information on vectors). Individuals submitting may be asked to also send the vector art.
- Submissions must be received no later than Friday, April 1, 2016 by 11:59 p.m.
Submissions in JPEG form should be sent to email@example.com. If the file size is more than 2MB, please use attachments.pepperdine.edu. Remember to include your name, CWID, and preferred form of contact.
Submissions must be received by Friday, April 1, 2016 no later than 11:59 p.m.
In case you missed it: Submissions must be received no later than Friday, April 1, 2016 by 11:59 p.m. Remember to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The chosen design will be featured on promotional material for the 2016 Step Forward Day. This includes all of the shirts! Contest winners will receive three shirts with their printed design once they are printed, a $50 gift card to the restaurant of their choice, and -- of course -- living out the scene mentioned above. What could be better?
If you have questions before submitting, please email Allie Bergeron.
In order to maximize the winning design, we also may use the design in the form of flyers or posters and online materials promoting Step Forward Day. In addition, the Volunteer Center may adjust the image to promote events throughout the 2016-17 school year and beyond.
By submitting your design, you release ownership and rights related to the design to the Pepperdine Volunteer Center. You also acknowledge that the design is your creation and not borrowed or stolen from another person or entity. Being inspired by another design is usually okay, but we hate corporate logo ripoffs. Be creative!
Some Ideas to Guide You
This will be the 28th annual Step Forward Day. Step Forward Day is the kickoff to each year of service by students at Pepperdine. The image above shows some of the variations of shirts through the years. Here are some elements that have been used through the years:
- Waves - connected to Waves of Service or just Pepperdine Waves.
- Feet - Bare feet have been on many shirts. The PVC has moved away from feet due to the symbolic nature of "stepping all of the community" and other negative connotations. However, they may also symbolize the washing of feet by Jesus or other symbols of humble service.
- Colors - Shirt and art colors have varied a great deal over the years. All shades of blue and orange have been used, as well as brown, purple, red, dark gray, and white. In the PVC, we tend to lean towards the school colors, but we are ready to be wowed with whatever colors you choose.
In addition to some of the common elements, we also want you to consider ideas, thoughts, feelings, and actions that your design can invoke. Here are some of the things the Volunteer Center seeks to promote:
- Issues of equity and justice
- Respect and dignity for all
We hope these ideas will help you as you brainstorm and start creating your design. Please let us know how we can be of assistance.