DPS Student Officer Division
The Department of Public Safety is actively seeking motivated, dedicated students to serve in critical roles in our department. Employment with Public Safety offers excellent professional development opportunities working side-by-side officers and staff in a challenging, fast-paced, and fun environment. All student employees earn a starting rate of $11.00/hour.
Student Service Officers are uniformed members of the DPS team that assist with medical and security escorts, booth operations, parking enforcement, office administration, special events, fire/life safety services, and emergency response. Student Service Officers work 12-20 hours per week.
Front Office Staff support our office administration by answering phones, interacting with customers, solving customer complaints and problems, issuing parking permits, and completing other support tasks. Front Office Staff are not uniformed personnel and do not take enforcement action. While not field officers, all DPS personnel may be required to assist in a serious campus emergency.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
• Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
• Be in good standing with the University (eligible for a Student Leader position)
• Possess a valid driver's license and valid insurance. Must meet University's driver eligibility criteria and articulate driving competencies. Drivers with at least one year of experience behind the wheel are preferred.
• Pass a formal background check and a local, on campus check as well.
• Excellent customer service, critical thinking, and communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with difficult people and in challenging situations
• Willing to wear a uniform, drive a marked patrol car, and perform enforcement actions (service officers only)
• Ability to use the phone and provide excellent service over the phone