Pepperdine Volunteer Center
Step Forward Day
Step Forward Day Reflections
One of the best parts about Step Forward Day is hearing how it has affected the students and how they hope to continue service throughout the year. Here is a small sample from previous years:
- "By a simple task of mixing dirt and soil for a garden, we helped create a place for the whole community to enjoy."
- "This experience gave me a chance to find out the value of volunteering. I enjoyed the service and hope that the kids appreciate our efforts."
- "I really enjoyed this experience. I was blessed by a little seven year old girl named April who showed me no matter what social circumstance you are in, there is still great joy in life. I admire her."
- "This day was a chance for me to see the realities of poverty right here in L.A. The openness of the people inspired me to want to reach out more and help these people on a regular basis."
- "Many questions. There's so much need and we just got free t-shirts. Did any of us need them? Still, it's good to get us out there, even if it does take a bribe."
- "I love the idea that even though I did a little, 1,200 people also did a little today and together we did a lot. I'm proud of my school!"
- "It was a really fun and relaxing time & I enjoyed gardening. The people really appreciated us helping out with a less than glamorous job."
- "Step Forward Day gave me a chance to get to connect with the kids in my dorm."
- "Step Forward Day helped me see what a great place the Boy's and Girl's Club is. It also showed me how a little help can go a long way."