Mission, Vision, and Affirmation Statement
Pepperdine is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic
excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose,
service, and leadership.
Pepperdine University will be a preeminent, global, Christian university, known for the integration of faith and learning, whose graduates lead purposeful lives as servant-minded leaders throughout the world.
Our vision statement declares what we intend to become. George Pepperdine envisioned
an institution that would transform students' lives so that they would, in turn, impact
culture. He imagined a vast body of alumni—men and women conscious of their good fortune,
recipients of the generous gift of a Christian education—who would feel the moral
imperative to serve others sacrificially. Hence, the school's motto: "Freely ye received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8).
As a Christian university Pepperdine affirms:
- That God is
- That God is revealed uniquely in Christ
- That the educational process may not, with impunity, be divorced from the divine process
- That the student, as a person of infinite dignity, is the heart of the educational enterprise
- That the quality of student life is a valid concern of the University
- That truth, having nothing to fear from investigation, should be pursued relentlessly in every discipline
- That spiritual commitment, tolerating no excuse for mediocrity, demands the highest standards of academic excellence
- That freedom, whether spiritual, intellectual, or economic, is indivisible
- That knowledge calls, ultimately, for a life of service.