Facebook pixel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) on FERPA | Pepperdine University Skip to main content
Pepperdine University

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) on FERPA

 If I'm paying for my student's education, why can't I get a copy of his or her records?

FERPA grants students legal control of their personal and academic records. Therefore, gaining access to a college student's records must be granted with written approval by the student. You can, however, receive information about your student if you submit proof that he/she is a dependent. Contact the Office of the University Registrar for information regarding this process. Students can sign a release form to grant you access to financial information. This form is included in the student's tuition bill.

 What information is covered under FERPA and what is not?

FERPA regulations protect a student's "education records," which include grades, finances, payroll records, and discipline records. Physical and mental health records are covered by other University policies, federal law, and professional ethics. In general, professionals working in these areas will not release student information except in emergency situations. Your son or daughter can choose to release information from these records to a third party, but this is done on a case-by-case basis. Each student can talk to the practitioner or the records office in the Student Health Center regarding medical records or the University Counseling Center regarding counseling records. They may also speak to the Dean of Students Office for discipline records; or to Residence Life for housing information.

 Where can I find out more about FERPA?

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department's website for additional information: