Pepperdine Volunteer Center
Step Forward Day is about our community
Keck First Year Seminar class with Mountain Restoration Trust
On Step Forward Day 2013, 75 nonprofit organizations, schools, churches and parks hosted a Pepperdine group. More than 1,600 students, staff, faculty, alumni, family, and friends served more than 4,800 hours in Los Angeles and Ventura County.
Thank you to all of our Community Partners for involving us in the great things you do.
Step Forward Day 2014 will be September 6
Already thinking of partnering with us (again)? We’d love to partner with you. Email us or call (310) 506-4143 for more information. If you already know what you want to do, review the 2013 forms, which will be updated soon. Continue on to the FAQs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can be a Step Forward Day partner?
We invite nonprofit organizations, schools, churches, and parks to become a partner work site. If you can use a group of at least eight and have enough work for three to four hours, we would like to hear from you.
How long will a group be at our site?
The group will arrive between 8:30 and 9 a.m. and work until close to noon. We can confirm more specific times as the event comes closer. The most successful projects usually have plenty for the group to do the entire time.
As a partner, what do we need to do?
We ask that you provide any supplies needed for the group to complete their project. Please assign a representative from your organization to meet the group on the Saturday morning of Step Forward Day. This person will welcome the group and introduce the organization and before setting them to work. He or she will need to stay at the work site through the day.
What kinds of projects could a Pepperdine Step Forward Team do?
Let us interact!
Projects that involve our student volunteers directly with the people that your organization serves tend to be both rewarding and successful. Sample projects include:
- hosting a sports camp with Pepperdine student-athletes;
- playing games and facilitating and participating in activities;
- preparing and serving a meal;
- making cards and writing notes to leave for your residents or participants;
- letting our students talk and share life experiences with the people you serve.
Let us clean!
We can assist you by cleaning your facility. Projects often include scrubbing, sweeping, dusting, and window washing.
Let us do yard work!
We can work outside with a variety of projects, including weeding, raking, planting, watering, clearing, cleaning outdoor facilities, picking up trash, and sweeping outdoor areas.
Let us touch-up!
If your facility needs touch-up, repair, or maintenance work, we can participate in projects such as sanding, painting, decorating, assembling furniture, and small fixes.
Let us organize and plan!
Office, facility, or storage organization projects could include organizing classrooms, rearranging storage or supply areas, setting up an organized storage system, sorting files, labeling, project planning, project set-up, preparing supplies for upcoming events (e.g., stuffing back-to-school backpacks, setting up tables), and sorting food products.
Here are a few of our Step Forward Day 2013 Community Partners
- Al Wooten Jr. Center
- Boys and Girls Club of Malibu Teen Center
- Boys and Girls Club West Valley
- Children's Nature Institute
- Faith in Christ Ministries
- FOOD Share
- Grant Elementary School
- Hand in Hand
- His Refuge
- Inner City Arts
- Juan Cabrillo Elementary School
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Malibu Community Labor Exchange
- Malibu Methodist Nursery School
- Malibu United Methodist Church
- Mary Magdalene Project
- The Midnight Mission
- Mountains Restoration Trust
- Neighborhood Youth Association
- Pacific Lodge Youth Services
- Point Dume Marine Science School
- Saint Francis Center
- Salvation Army - Camp Mt. Crags
- Santa Monica Mountains Trail Council
- Topanga Elementary Charter School
- United Cerebral Palsy Los Angeles
- Venice High School
- Veterans Home of California West Los Angeles
- Webster Elementary School
- Westside Children's Center
- Westside Food Bank
- Will Rogers Learning Community
- And more!