Pillar of Pepperdine
The monumental cross that warmly greets Pepperdine community members, friends, and guests alike is called the Phillips Theme Tower, a structure that captures the University’s fervent spiritual focus present throughout the Malibu campus.
The vast tower is also an illustrious landmark abundant with rich institutional history and little-known fun facts shared here.
- Construction of the tower was completed in 1973
- The light inside the cross has been lit only twice in 44 years
- The cross is 125 feet high and 345 feet above sea level
- Its location is two miles from the Pacific Ocean
- It was designed by famed architect William Pereira
- It was a gift from the B. D. Phillips Foundation
- It is programmed to chime 10,000 times a year
- The structure took over 2,000 hours to complete