Thank you for taking the time to make a nomination for Pepperdine University's Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence.
Nominations for the 2022 awards, which will be announced in October, will be accepted through March 31, 2022. Nominations received after that date will be considered for the 2023 awards. All full-time members of the faculty are eligible for the award, and you may nominate more than one member of the faculty. However, you may submit only one nomination for any particular faculty member. For a list of current full-time faculty at Pepperdine University, click here. Once again, thank you for participating in this process!
The Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence recognizes outstanding teachers who embody Pepperdine University's commitment to excellence. All full-time faculty members are eligible for the award. The award honors teachers who inspire, stimulate, challenge, and motivate their students; teachers who develop in students the ability to think critically and creatively about the world; teachers who instill in their students a lifelong love of learning. The nomination and selection of recipients of the award is based on the person's demonstrated excellence in teaching at the University, as evidenced by:
- Ability to inspire independent and critical thinking
- Ability to encourage intellectual interests in students and to stimulate students to think creatively
- Enthusiasm and vitality in learning, teaching, and scholarship
- Mastery of the subject matter
- Commitment to academic rigor in the classroom
- Ability to organize course material and to present it cogently
- Active involvement with students outside of the classroom, including advising, counseling, and mentoring students
- Record of good academic citizenship through service to students, the University, and the community, and a commitment to scholarship
- Consistent demonstration of support for the University's mission.