Sunset Haven Fund Application
Sixty five years ago, several Churches of Christ in the Los Angeles area joined together to create a home called Sunset Haven. It opened with six residents on nine acres in Cherry Valley, operating without any government aid. Most of those early residents had little or no money, so churches and individual Christians took on the financial load with selfless determination. Over time, rooms were added to the original house and the organization expanded its ministry to include homes in other locations.
The men and women who directed Sunset Haven over the years were strong leaders in congregations throughout Southern California. People like Paul Harper, J. D. and Opal Hawes, E. W. McMillan, Otis J. Warren, Floyd Lee, Raymond C. Simpson, Seth E. Rehkop, Floyd E. Hamilton, Francis Long, and Bess Golden Clausen are among the many supporters.
The board of trustees for Sunset Haven is saddened to share that it will be dissolving the organization after its many years of service to the churches and elderly in the Southern California region.
In an effort to encourage Churches of Christ to maintain ministry to the elderly and strengthen their lives in these communities, Sunset Haven would like to lengthen their impact by providing significant funds from their dissolution to assist each church in their senior ministry.
For questions, please contact Sunset Haven board members Mary Alice Reed (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gale Carr (909.837.7920).
Applications are due August 31, 2020.
Guidelines for the application process are as follows:
The Church of Christ must be from Southern California with a 501(c)3 and an eldership.
All applications will be reviewed and funds distributed to approved programs by September 30, 2020.
Each church may submit only one application.
Application questions include:
- If the church has any connection to Sunset Haven's rich history and, if so, how
- The approximate number of senior citizens in the congregation
- The church's programs or resources currently serving this population
- The greatest need or challenge of this church's population
- Details of the proposed program or project to address the needs or challenges
- The amount of funding requested, which can be up to $50,000
- A contact name and email or phone number
The following information will be collected for tax purposes when funds are distributed:
- Corporate number (should be on the Statement of Information on file with the CA Secretary of State's office)
- Federal Tax Identification number confirming their non-profit status
- Filed Articles of Incorporation
Application Questions? Contact:
Mary Alice Reed (email@example.com)
Gale Carr (909.837.7920)