Occasional Absences During Symptom Severity
In addition to the school specific descriptions above, please consider the following information regarding this accommodation:
Occasional absences during times of symptom flare ups means there may be times when a student has a flare-up of symptoms and is not able to attend class.
The parameters of this accommodation need to be worked out on an individual basis between the professor and student, based on the structure and requirements of the class. This accommodation depends upon a partnership between the student and professor. OSA is always available to facilitate or advise.
We urge each professor and student to discuss the following (though there may be other questions more specific to a course) to make sure there is mutual understanding of expectations of this accommodation:
- How is attendance an essential component of the class?
- If the student misses class, is she or he missing the conversations and the learning that are taking place between classmate conversations?
- If there is an attendance policy, would there be the option to have any additional excused absence(s)?
- What is the policy for the class if the student misses more than the excused absences (including any additional ones that are negotiated with the professor and student)?
- Is attendance using remote technology (such as ZOOM, Google Hangout or Facetime) a possibility during a flare-up, and if so, for what percentage of the class meetings?
- How should the student submit work if absent on a day that an assignment is due? Would the student submit unfinished work on the due date?
- If the student is absent on the day of a quiz, exam or presentation, is there a class policy already in place regarding missed quizzes, exams, or presentations? If the student misses a presentation, would the student submit materials electronically and present at another class?
- How and when should the professor be notified when the student is having a flare-up? What are the expectations of communication?
- If the frequency of absences impacts the structure and learning of the class, the professor will discuss with the student and OSA.
Please know we are here to support both the student and the professor in providing access and maintaining the integrity of the course.