Facebook pixel Proof of Right to Work in the United States | Pepperdine University Skip to main content
Pepperdine University

Proof of Right to Work in the United States

When beginning work, new employees must produce, on their first day, EITHER:

NOTE: Must be original documents... photocopies are not acceptable.


List A

Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility

  1. U.S. Passport (unexpired)
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. An unexpired Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  4. An unexpired Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  6. Passport form the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.


or List B

Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

  1. School record or report card
  2. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  3. Day-care or nursery school record


and List C

Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

  1. U.S. Social Security card (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
  2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  4. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  5. Native American tribal document
  6. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  7. ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  8. Unexpired employment authorization document issued by DHS (other than those listed under List A)

Derived from the Department of Homeland Security
(U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)