Facebook pixel Yellow Ribbon Program | Student Veterans | Pepperdine University Skip to main content
Pepperdine University

Yellow Ribbon Program at Pepperdine

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, also known as the Post-9/11 GI Bill or Chapter 33. The Yellow Ribbon Program allows institutions of higher learning to enter into a voluntary agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to contribute funds to a veteran's unmet tuition and certifiable fee charges (student health insurance fees) when those charges exceed the amount payable under Chapter 33. Fees that are not certifiable include workshop fees, deposits, and Global Program Fees. The program allows institutions to contribute an amount up to 50 percent of a veteran's unmet costs; the VA will match the amount. (The Yellow Ribbon Program is due to become available to active service members and spouses of active service members in 2022).

See all covered student veteran programs at Pepperdine


Yellow Ribbon Frequently Asked Questions

How is the award posted on student accounts?

Once you have submitted your VA's Certificate of Eligibility to the Registrar's office, Student Accounts will pre-post either the VA Post 9/11 or Pepperdine Yellow Ribbon scholarship on your student account at the beginning of each term. Other financial aid awards will be adjusted accordingly.

How do I start my VA/YRP to Pepperdine?

  1. Go to the Veterans Benefits Administration and apply for your benefits.
  2. If you are no longer active duty you will also need to submit your DD-214 to the VA.
  3. In approximately six weeks you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail from VA. The Certificate will inform you of your benefits, your percentage of entitlement, and the time at which your benefits will expire.
  4. Please submit both your Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 to Pepperdine by one of the following methods:

Mail: Pepperdine University OSIS 24255 Pacific Coast Highway Malibu, CA 90263, Attn: Sara Turki or Lucas Saucedo

How do I apply to Pepperdine University?

Please visit our admissions site if you are interested in applying to Pepperdine University.

How do I apply for my VA benefits?

Please visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits Application page to apply for your benefits.

How do I transfer my benefit to my spouse or children?

Please visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs Education and Training page to learn about transferring your benefits to your spouse or children.

How do I determine my eligibility for Pepperdine's Yellow Ribbon Program?

Visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program page to learn more about your eligibility.

What about other government resources?

Please explore these other government resources as well:

Whom should I contact if I still have questions?

Please contact Sara Turki at 310.506.6129 or Lucas Saucedo at 310.506.4381 via phone or email.