Invention Development Guidelines and Procedures
In connection with my submission of the "Invention" (defined below) to the Waves of Innovation Grant Program ("Grant Program") sponsored by Pepperdine University ("Pepperdine"), the undersigned Pepperdine employee ("I" or "me") agrees as follows:
- The "Invention" consists of certain inventions, ideas, concepts, designs, products, processes, practices, improvements or modifications that I have conceived, and may continue to conceive, create and develop, during the term of my employment with Pepperdine. Pepperdine owns all right, title and interest in the Invention, as provided for under that certain Inventions Agreement ("Inventions Agreement") that has been signed by Pepperdine and me. These Invention Development Guidelines and Procedures ("Guidelines") do not waive or diminish the provisions of the Inventions Agreement or any other Pepperdine documents and policies governing the Grant Program. These Guidelines are governed by Sections 4 and 5 of the Inventions Agreement regarding dispute resolution and general provisions, and the final bolded paragraph regarding "no contract of employment."
- I hereby represent and warrant to Pepperdine that (a) the Invention is an original creation developed solely and exclusively by me and (b) all information and materials used by me to create the Invention are available without restrictions on use or the requirement of obtaining any license or other rights from or paying any amounts to any third party. I understand and agree that each of the foregoing representations and warranties may only be waived by Pepperdine if I provide specific written details to Ross Canning, Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Strategic Initiatives, Pepperdine University, TAC 419 (Mail Code 4501), and receive express written approval from Mr. Canning. If I have any questions regarding whether I may be breaching the foregoing representations and warranties, I understand that I am strongly encouraged to contact Mr. Canning.
- I hereby represent and warrant to Pepperdine that to the best of my knowledge, the Invention will not violate or infringe any third party rights, including, without limitation, patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and all other intellectual property and other rights.
- I shall not disclose any confidential information, proprietary information or trade secrets regarding the Invention in any manner at any time, other than to Pepperdine or as authorized by Pepperdine. The foregoing obligation will not apply to information that can be demonstrated by me to be already known by the general public.
- I shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless Pepperdine, and its affiliates, shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives, and each of their respective successors and assigns, from and against any legal proceedings or actions, claims, damages, losses, awards, judgments and payments and all reasonable attorneys' fees and costs incurred in connection therewith, arising out of, relating to, or in connection with any breach by me of any provision of this Agreement.